Living Room Colour Schemes - 11 Looks You Will Love
The living room is often one of the last rooms to be completed in most renovations and often the one which can express our personalities the most. After the hard work has been done in the kitchen and bathroom, the living room is a place that you can design over time and add too with accessories.
We see some of the most amazing living room colour schemes on Instagram, where there are the most creative and inviting spaces. So here are some of our very favourite living room colour schemes to give some amazing inspiration. Whether it's dark and dramatic or soft Scandi neutrals, there are some amazing living rooms for the latest looks.
1. Neutral tones for a relaxed look
We love this light living room colour scheme from the home of Insta account @angels_home_.
The pale grey carpet with the warm neutral walls and fireplace give the most inviting and cosy look. The square panelling on the wall adds so much texture, as does the oak mantle and beautiful soft furnishings.
Panelling painted in Whiter than White and walls painted in Parchment, both Frenchic Paint.
Neutral living room colour scheme from the home of @angels_home_
2. Pale pink with deep blue
We adore this soft pale pink colour scheme in the home of @housekidscats. The panelling on the walls is subtle and works so well to create a more formal look.
The art deco touches like the striking mirror work so well against the pale pink, and the light walls allows the deep blue sofa to stand out.
Lounge painted in Calamine by Farrow & Ball.
Pink living room colour scheme from @housekidscats. Walls painted in Calamine by Farrow & Ball.
3. Dark blue combined with jewel tones
This stunning deep blue colour scheme works perfectly in this Victorian home, with the beautiful high ceilings and cornicing. This dark shade of blue would work equally well in a smaller living room to create a dramatic look.
With a dark green undertone, this deep shade of blue works so well in this living room combined with the green, gold and pink tones.
Deep blue living room in the home of @deco.dwelling. Walls painted in Hague Blue by Farrow & Ball.
4. Monochrome for a stylish finish
The entire home of @kjg_home flows seamlessly from room to room, with a beautiful calming monochrome palette used throughout.
We love the monochrome living room with the greyed oak herringbone floor, the natural walls and the touches of black from the doors, lighting and other accessories. Combined with the furniture, there is a beautiful Mediterranean style created in this living room.
Walls are painted in Ammonite by Farrow & Ball.
Monochrome living room in the home of @kjg_home. Walls are painted in Ammonite by Farrow & Ball.
5. Bold lounge for a striking look
This living room in the home of @ourhouseatno58 is so striking, yet entirely homely and fun looking too.
The fabulous dark walls have provided the most amazing backdrop for the beautiful pink sofa and the stunning artwork. We adore the warmth from the original oak floorboards and fireplace too.
It's such a creative and inspiring living room which has so much personality and style.
Living room in the home of @ourhouseatno58
6. Scandi style warm tones
There are so many wonderful textures in this beautiful living room from the home of @hallie_and_harrisons_house.
The earthy tones of the lime-washed wall makes a striking feature and the warmth from the sofa and rug add to the look. The white painted chimney breast creates a lovely feature and focal point too...we love the relaxed Scandi style that has been created here.
Living room in the home of @hallie_and_harrisons_house
7. Deep green for a contemporary look
We love this deep green living room colour scheme from the home of @houseproject_36. The home is 1970s property and we think the green works so well here, with an up-to-date look which is sympathetic to the style of the home.
The lovely touches of brass, black and warm oak work so well against the deep green, creating an inviting and homely living room.
Walls are painted in Inchyra Blue by Farrow & Ball.
Deep green living room in the home of @houseproject_36. Walls painted in Inchyra Blue by Farrow & Ball.
8. Deep pink with warm tones
We love this warm pink feature wall in the home of @thisismyhomestyle. The earthy undertones of the pink are brought out by the wood, greenery and rattan.
The white painted wall around the bay window creates a lovely contrast and keeps the living room looking bright.
Walls are painted in Sulking Room Pink by Farrow & Ball.
Pink living room colour scheme in the home of thisismyhomestyle. Walls painted in Sulking Room Pink by Farrow & Ball.
9. Black blue for a formal look
This living room is in the beautiful country home of @our_cheshire_country_home. The dark blue walls create a dramatic yet relaxing space, which we imagine would love so cosy when the log burner is on!
The dark walls work so well with the neutral furnishing and flooring, perfectly complimenting the look.
Walls painted in Blue Black by Farrow & Ball.
Beautiful blue black walls in the home of @our_cheshire_country_home
10. Dark grey for an atmospheric look
Grey will forever be a popular choice in the living room as it provides the perfect backdrop for so many other colours and styles.
We love this dark shade of grey in the home of @thegreeneyedgirl_, which works beautifully in their period property.
Painting the fireplace surround has created a subtle and seamless look and the feature light and sofa bring a contemporary style to the room.
Walls painted in Mole's Breath by Farrow & Ball.
Grey living room colour scheme in the home of @thegreeneyedgirl_
11. Cream with terracotta accents
We absolutely love this living room in the home of @placefortyeight, which is completely unique in style.
The light walls create a lovely bright look in the space and we love the terracotta which brings so much warmth. The touches of black and greenery add to the detail, as does the panelling which creates even more texture in this gorgeous space.
Walls are painted in Silver Birch from Neptune.
Living room in the home of @placefortyeight
So here are some of our tips to create the most wonderful living room colour scheme:
- Don't be afraid to opt for dark walls when creating your living room colour scheme. Dark blue and green are popular choices and can be as effective in a small living room as they are a larger space.
- Consider the natural light coming into your living room as colours can look very different. You may want to opt for warmer tones in North facing spaces that get less light than in South facing rooms.
- Pale and neutral colours act as a blank canvas in the living room, but dark walls work equally well to allow bright colours to stand out.
- Be brave with the latest colour trends. Tones such as terracotta are emerging as a popular choice which you can easily introduce through furnishings.
- Adding a soft colour is a beautiful look, with pale pink being a popular choice for a living room colour scheme.
- Period properties can really carry off dark tones, due to the high ceilings and large spaces. But don't be afraid to go for strong tones in mid century homes which can be so sympathetic to the style of property.
- Layering the living room colour scheme with soft furnishings, greenery and artwork really adds to the colour scheme and style.
- Panelling is a popular choice in the living room which adds more texture. Large style panelling works particularly well in period homes for a more formal look.
- Follow your own personal style to create a living room that works for your family, expressing your own sense of style.
Published: March 17, 2021